Congratulations! For many people, this is the time of year when at least one person you know (or yourself) has just gotten – or will get (on Valentine’s Day) – engaged. Once engaged, there are several things you need to do in order to stay organized. We’ve created this handy starting guide for you below. Enjoy!
What to do after getting engaged:
- Tell your family! Share the amazing news with your friends and family in person or individually. There’s no need to blast it on social media just yet. Cherish the moment!
- Research local photographers who can take the perfect engagement photos for you. If you have a photographer friend who’s willing to help out, even better!
- Choose some dates you want to have your wedding on. You might have one special date in mind, but it’s always good to have a back-up in case of venues being booked, etc.
- Choose your wedding party. These will be your closest friends and/or family members who can help ensure that everything is perfect on your big day.
- Draft your guest list. It’s totally fine if your list is longer than expected. Take your time in considering each person on your list. Not everyone will be offended if they’re not on your list.
- Set a budget for your wedding. Decide on how you’ll be paying for it, whether it be getting help from your family or through a savings plan.
- Create a list of venues and narrow them down to your top three. Make sure you tour them so that you can see them in person to get a feel of the environment. Book your venue as early as you can so that you can get the specific date you want.
- Find a wedding photographer. It doesn’t have to be the same person from #2 above. You might want to invest a little more in this one as they will be taking live photos for you on your wedding day.
- Do some online research for the types of decorations, food, and other things that you want for your wedding day. There are a lot of DIY options out there that can help you save money as well.
- Shop for your dress or suit! Try on as many as you want until you find the one. Have a lot of fun while doing it! Bring a few friends along to help you with your decision.